Monday, July 5, 2010

Review & Swatches: NYC Blushable Creme Stick Blushes

NYC (New York Color) Blushable Creme Stick Blushes

 L-R: Berry Newyorker, South St. Seashell, Big Apple Blush, Plaza Pink, Pink Flash, Wild Berry


Overall Rating: 4/5 (in general)
Price:
$2-$4
Size/Amount: 0.28 oz/8.0 g
Packaging: Somewhat tacky but practical!
Would you buy this again? I would buy certain colors again.

I'm sure you've all heard about these by now. I've been using some of them for over a month now (Picture above was taken when I first got them). First off, I love the concept of these blushes. All you have to do is glide it over your cheeks, blend it in, and you're ready to go! However, like the Maybelline Dream Mousse Blush I reviewed a while ago, some of the colors are a hit or miss for certain skin tones. For instance, South St. Seashell and Plaza Pink disappears on my skin after I blend it out but when I add a bit more, it does show up. Big Apple Red and Plaza Pink has too much silver shimmers for me but I can see this looking very nice on lighter skin tones. Here's a break down of all the colors and my description.


Berry Newyorker: True blush color. Matte pinky brown.
South St. Seashell: Matte coral peachy pink. This one looks really natural on me.
Big Apple Blush: Shimmery muavy rose pink.
Plaza Pink: Shimmery Coral pink.
Pink Flash (Limited Edition): Matte bright coral yellow pink.
Wild Berry (Limited Edition): Matte bright intense cool blue pink (almost fuchsia).

Staying power for the blushes is about 3-4 hours but the bright colors from the Shock Value limited edition line stays put for the whole day! I bought the ones from the regular line for $2.29 CAD (on sale) and the LE ones for $2.99 USD (with $1 off coupon =D) so I think these blushes are worth a try! I would only repurchase Pink Flash because that one is my favorite! Here are some pros and cons that I came up with:

Pros:
- Inexpensive...well more like DIRT CHEAP
- Practical packaging for on-the-go
- Excellent pigmentation
- Comparable to high end cream blushes like Nars multiple, Stila, Tarte, etc
- Formula is easy to blend and not crumbly!
- Pretty wearable colors
- Colors are build-able
- Makes for a good blush base
- Scent-free
- Non sticky, dries fast!
- Finish is dewy glowy
- Fun to have :)

Cons:
- Not very long wearing (colors from the regular line)
- Some colors are way too shimmery
- Some colors don't show up on darker skin
- Can accentuate flaky dry skin and acne (unfortunately, most cream blushes do that)
- Packaging is a bit tacky but for the price, who can complain?
- The Limited Edition ones are the best.. I hope they make them permanent!

Swatches Below:

 L-R: Berry Newyorker, South St. Seashell, Big Apple Blush, Plaza Pink, Pink Flash, Wild Berry

If you're in Canada, you can purchase these at Walmart.

Disclaimer: Products were purchased by yours truly :) all opinions are honest.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, time to head to wal-mart :)

Kim said...

I placed an order I got 3 of these! great review. =)

Chibu74 said...

thank god i just bought South st. beach coz i'm almost ur skin tone

Unknown said...

wow haha nice review. wondering real size of them will check it when i go to mall.. i hope its not small like lipstick size hehe

mandy said...

I really want to try Pink Flash and Wild berry but I haven't seen these anywhere, and the place that I did see the blushable creme sticks, the LE shades were all sold out :(

Anonymous said...

these are so pretty ! i cant wait to try these out ! thanks for the swatch and review !

Anonymous said...

which wal-mart did u get these in? I've been to 2 different wal-marts and I still have no luck of finding them! : (

Justine (Productrater) said...

I really want to try these, which store in Canada did you buy them? I don't see a lot of rotation of NYC products in drugstores around here.

Christine said...

Thanks for this post! I have Plaza Pink but I was thinking about getting South St. Seashell. Now I will definitely go get it.

Xoxo,
Christine
http://pinksofoxy.blogspot.com

April said...

Thank you sooo much Nee for these swatches! You are so wonderful! I don't know which one to get! They look so pretty on your arm I want them all! I hope you're feeling better by the way! I was getting worried! Take care my friend! :)

Miss ♥ Nikka said...

Great review and swatches. Pink plaza is pretty! I havent found these yet. Im still on the hunt.

Afterglow Cosmetics said...

The stick blushes are in use...how do they work in tropical climates where we are used to applying powder?The humidity should not affect the make up right?
organic lipstick

Liliai said...

I really like the big apple blush, pink flash, and wild berry colors! I'm itching to try these now, do you know if they sell them in the US?

hiitscaila said...

Yay! Thanks for this!:) I'll be heading over to walmart tomorrow to pick up a couple of these, since they're sooo cheap and look pretty decent! :)

Julie said...

i wish we had wal-mart here..those colours look so nice!
http://brokenblush.blogspot.com/

Jennifae said...

Hi! New follower here! :) Thanks for the great swatches!

http://jennifae.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Hi,

I bought a couple of these from walmart in Ontario about 2 months ago then I went back to see if they had the limited editions about 2 weeks ago, that whole section was not even there - I was very disappointed!

I will try another bigger Walmart soon.

For those Canadians that are still having a hard time finding it, you can get them online for 3.99:

http://well.ca/

Free shipping in Canada to!

I wish I knew about the limited editions sooner because they are no where to be found and I am dying to get my hands on 'Pink Flash'. If anyone knows how I can get this, please let me know! Thanks

Stevista said...

I was googling for these cream blushes and I found your blog among others! Your swatches are SO helpful !! Thank you so much!! :)

New follower here!! :)

Makeup by Morgan said...

i bought mine in the summer too and i went to use it the other day and it totally dried out! even with the lid on. i was sad. but its true they are worth the price even if they only last a couple months.
:)

Nabeela.A said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nabeela.A said...

:o Jealous Much!! lol, I wish these were released in the UK! Im wondering if anyone would be interested in a swap since im really interested in the creme stick?

Unknown said...

Hey My nama is Maryam i like anything to do with makeup and fashion.I hread u r giving a way some make up stuff.Can u please sent me some stuff..C ya.xx

NXZCHY said...

I want these so bad, I can't find them anywhere :(

Zzielona said...

It looks really cool! :)

Anonymous said...

basing on the swatches, i think its time for me to go shopping for more!!! lol

http://ilovemakeup68.blogspot.com/

Kerry said...

oh..I hope there's a branch of NYC here in the Philippines.. :-(